Religious Society of Friends of Pittsburgh
4836 Ellsworth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Weekly Bulletin July 22, 2018
|Queries for Seventh Month (July) on Unity in Meeting
● Do we seek to nurture a spirit of unity in our Meeting?
● If a problem or conflict arises within the Meeting, do we make timely efforts to address the issue in a spirit of love and humility? As we seek unity, do we listen to one another carefully and with openness to Truth?
● Are we able to express our views honestly and with respect for those who differ with us? Are we prepared to set aside our individual desires or opinions in order to reach unity in the divine Light?
● Are we willing to wait patiently for divine guidance rather than be hurried by the passing of time?
● When the Meeting has made a decision, do we continue to care for and respect one another, regardless of our differing personal views?
Friends are reminded that the deadline for submission to the Bulletin is Wednesday at noon. Thank you.
Please submit items for the bulletin and/or the Facebook page to the clerks at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events and Announcements
Memorial Service for Rusty Sweitzer will be held on Saturday, July 28 at 2pm at Sherwood Oaks. Friends are invited to bring cookies for a reception afterward – please contact Rosemary Coffey if you are planning to do so.
It takes a village – Are you curious about how you can contribute to the care of the Meetings children and youth? First Day School will be hosting open houses this summer – coming up on August 5 at the rise of Meeting upstairs in the Fell or Woolman rooms. Stop by and find out how easy it can be to assist with this vital ministry.
Pamphlets & Pastries, Sunday, August 26, 12:15 pm in the Library. We will conclude our reading and discussion of Jerry Knutson’s Pendle Hill Pamphlet 443, “Individual Spiritual Discernment: Receiving, Testing and Implementing Leadings from a Higher Power.” Jerry plans to join us to hear our thoughts and to answer questions. All are welcome. Copies of the pamphlet will be available—as well as tasty pastries.
New Group! The Working Group Against Racism (WGAR) would like to invite the PFM community to join us in completing the Changing systems, changing ourselves: Anti-racist practice for sanctuary, accompaniment & resistance:A four-session monthly interactive e-course for groups to explore, reflect, and act for social change. https://www.afsc.org/CSCO-homework Although this program formally started in May – we will complete this in our own time -each participant will complete the homework questions and watch the videos and we will meet after each one to discuss. The meeting to discuss the first video will be this summer. Please complete this doodle poll to indicate interest and times that you could meet. https://doodle.com/poll/2p5gh5355dz6629x For questions, contact Eva Mergner email@example.com or Mary Parish firstname.lastname@example.org
Pittsburgh FCNL Advocacy Team Updates:
- We are collecting signatures on letters to our national representatives encouraging them strongly to support diplomacy to maintain peace on the Korean peninsula, and reminding them that it is Congress’s responsibility to make decisions that take us into war. No war declaration by tweet! Letter signing will take place in the Library. If you are unsure who your representatives are, we will have that information.
- The July national call featured political and media strategist Daren Berringer, whose statement emphasizing the importance of attending and speaking out at candidate forums and town hall meetings can be found here. To prepare to attend one of these events, see the questions and other good information FCNL has pulled together More information to follow about events in our area.
- The next Pittsburgh FCNL Advocacy Team meeting will take place on August 7th. All are welcome to join us. This is not a “Quakers only” action committee, so please spread the word. For more information, anyone can contact Von Keairns (email@example.com) or Mary Parish (firstname.lastname@example.org).
No Better Time to Donate! Update from Finance: The rosy donation reports were based on “half-budget” projections reflecting half a year of construction. Our “true” donation budget is $51,000. We are at $42,732. Another $8300 is needed by August 31 to make donation budget this fiscal year. We will try to avoid this confusion next fiscal year.
LEYM – Sept. 28-30. You’re invited to the Annual LEYM Fall K-12 Youth Retreat at Templed Hills UCC Camp in Bellville, OH! https://leym.org/news/
Mid-Week Meeting – Need a little silence once a month between Sundays? Join us 4th Wednesdays in the Fell Room at 6 pm for silent worship.
To receive the bulletin or newsletter by email, please send a request to email@example.com
Email for the treasurer and assistant treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular Meeting Events
|The Pittsburgh Friends Meeting calendar is available online at https://teamup.com/ks9jgbigvru2f2q9or|
|1st Sunday 12:15||Bible Study: We are studying the Gospel of John. All are welcome! Questions? Contact Mary Parish, email@example.com.|
|1st Sunday||Letter Writing Write to your elected officials on local & national issues in Library following MfW.|
|Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business. Attending connects us to the community and to our underlying beliefs as Friends. Items for the next month’s Newsletter are due this day, except MfB minutes and emergency items which may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|2nd Monday||EECM Shelter Meal: Friends provide evening meal to approximately 30 people. Contact Walter Mead (email@example.com or 412.856.0195) if you would like to join other Friends in this effort. Volunteers needed.|
|2nd Wednesday||Friendly Lunch in Oakland 12:00 at the Panera on the corner of Halket and the Blvd of the Allies. Contact Debby Hollingshead for more info.|
|2nd Thurs. 2-4pm||Writer’s Group – Share your writing with others for comments, not criticism. Contact Barra Jacob-McDowell for more information.|
|3rd Tuesday 7:00 PM||Friendly Spiritual Healing Group. All are welcome. For more information, or to be held in the Light, see Dolores Avner, Pat Buddemeyer, Von Keairns, Nancy James, or Pat May.|
|3rd Sunday||Adult Education 12:15-1:15|
|Meeting for Worship at Sherwood Oaks, Cranberry Twp. For more information, contact Elinor Castle (724-776-8307). Friends are needed to attend. Contact a member of Outreach for more info.|
When scheduling meetings and other events, please keep in mind that the Meeting House is CLOSED on Mondays until 5 pm and all day and evening on Fridays. The House Manager’s email is: firstname.lastname@example.org