Religious Society of Friends of Pittsburgh
4836 Ellsworth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Weekly Bulletin: October 11, 2015
Queries for Tenth Month (October) on Home Life
● Do we endeavor to make home a place of friendship, peace, love, and refreshment of the spirit?
● How do we use our shared time to nurture that of God in each of us?
● In what ways do we make our homes places of spiritual and religious growth?
● Do we share our religious insights with those we love?
● Do we respect the needs for intimacy or separateness of those with whom we live?
Friends are reminded that the deadline for submission to the Bulletin is Wednesday at noon. Thank you.
Please submit to the clerks at pfmclerks
Announcements and Upcoming Events
October 18, 12:15 pm. Ministry will be holding an adult ed session to share perspectives and experiences about Vocal Ministry. We will use guidelines from Lancaster Meeting (in October Newsletter, pp. 5-6) as a jumping off point.
First Day School:
- FDS students will rake the front yard of the Meeting House on Sunday, Oct. 25th during 10:30 MfW. If you have a rake and/or a pair of gloves you could loan the students, please label your items, leave them on the front porch as you come in to meeting, and don’t forget to retrieve them as you leave that day. Thank you!
- Halloween Party: The FDS invites you to their annual Halloween Party on Friday, Oct. 30th from 59 pm. We will have a pizza potluck dinner from 56 pm. We will provide pizzas and cheese, and partygoers are asked to bring their favorite topping and/or a side dish. Come in costume, bring a friend, and tour the haunted basement! Volunteers are needed to set up the haunted house on Oct.20th and 27th-29th, and clean up the haunted house on Sunday, Nov.1. Email Walter Mead at waltermead if you can volunteer. Thank you!
- The FDS needs magazines and calendars with pretty illustrations and photos for an art project. Please leave them in the box on the landing. Thank you!
- First Day School requests donations of picture books; simple puzzles that are preferably wooden and have less than 36 pieces; old clothes for dressup; duplos or other building materials that are too large to swallow; dolls; and a toy doctor’s kit for the preschool room. If you have any of these items, please give them to Claire Cohen or leave them in the box on the landing. Thank you! Questions? See Claire Cohen.
Sherwood Oaks is now holding a Worship Service on both the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month at 10:30 in the Chapel.
Regular Meeting Events
Pittsburgh Friends Meeting’s calendar is available at our homepage, http://www.quaker.org/pghpamm/index.html
First Sunday, 12:15 Bible Study: We are studying Esther. All are welcome! Questions? Contact Mary Parish, maryjparish.
First Sunday Letter Writing. Write to your elected officials on local and national issues. In Library following MfW.
Second Sunday, 12:15 Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business. Attending MfB connects us to the community and to our underlying beliefs as Friends. Items for the next month’s Newsletter are due this day, except MfB minutes and emergency items which may be emailed to pfmnews
Second Monday EECM Men’s Shelter: Friends provide evening meal to approx. 30 homeless men. Contact Walter Mead (waltermead or 412.856.0195) if you would like to join other Friends in this effort. Volunteers needed.
Third Tuesday, 7:00 PM Friendly Spiritual Healing Group. All are welcome. For more information, or to be held in the Light, see Dolores Avner, Pat Buddemeyer, Von Keairns, Nancy James, or Pat May.
Third Sunday, 12:15-1:15 Adult Education
Third Sunday, 7:30-8:30 PM Friends in the South Hills: Meeting for Worship at Unitarian Universalist Church in Mt. Lebanon (1240 Washington Rd.). Contact person: Robert Sterbal, 412-977-3526 (cell) or 412-831-5677 (home), or Robert
Second and Fourth Sundays, 10:30 AM Meeting for Worship at Sherwood Oaks, Cranberry Twp. For more information, contact Rusty Sweitzer or Ralph Peabody.
Upcoming First Day School Events
- Halloween Party – Friday, October 30, 5-9pm;
- Fun & Games Night Saturday, November 7, 6:30-9pm
- Art Party Sunday, November 15, 12:30-2:00pm
- Holiday Play practice Friday, December 18, 6-9pm
When scheduling meetings and other events, please keep in mind that the Meeting House is CLOSED on Mondays until 5 pm and all day and evening on Fridays.
Hoping for Light, Eric Starbuck